Authorities have identified 19-year-old Brandon Scott Hole as the suspected gunman who opened fire at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis on Thursday, killing eight people and wounding several others before taking his own life.
Two law enforcement officials briefed on the matter provided the identity to the Associated Press on Friday afternoon. The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said investigators are searching a home in Indianapolis associated with Hole.
Officers were called to the scene at 11 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday. When they arrived, they found several victims injured and deceased, as well as the suspect. The suspect died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Authorities said the gunman got out of his car and opened fire in the parking lot before entering the FedEx facility, which is located about five miles from the Indianapolis International Airport.
Five people were taken to hospitals by ambulance. Four of them had gunshot wounds and a fifth had wounds possibly from shrapnel.
FedEx released a statement on the shooting shortly before 4 a.m. Eastern time on Friday, calling it a “senseless act of violence.”
“We are deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of our team members following the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis,” the statement reads. “Our most heartfelt sympathies are with all those affected by this senseless act of violence. The safety of our team members is our top priority, and we are fully cooperating with investigating authorities.”
The Indianapolis attack is the latest in a series of mass shootings across the United States. Last month, a gunman killed eight people at spas across the Atlanta area in Georgia. Ten people also died after a shooter opened fire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.
This isn’t the first mass shooting to occur in Indianapolis this year. In January, five people were shot and killed, including a pregnant woman, on the northeast side. Police said at the time it was the city’s largest mass casualty shooting in over a decade.
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett tweeted Friday morning that the city was “confronted with the horrific news of yet another mass shooting, an act of violence that senselessly claimed the lives of eight of our neighbors.”
Hogsett later said in a press conference that while the investigation is ongoing, “no piece of information will restore the lives that were taken or the peace that was shattered.”
This is a developing story and will be updated with more information as it becomes available.