SURFSIDE, Fla.—Rescue crews combed the dense rubble of the collapsed Miami-area condo tower Monday morning, searching for survivors from above and below as the recovery efforts entered their fifth day.
The death toll from the partial collapse of Champlain Towers South is 10, with 151 people unaccounted for. The Miami-Dade Police Department released the names late Sunday of four more previously recovered residents who died in the collapse: Leon Oliwkowicz, 80 years old; Luis Bermudez, 26; Anna Ortiz, 46; and Christina Beatriz Elvira, 74.
Investigators pressed ahead Monday with efforts to identify the cause of the failure. Emails released by the town Sunday included correspondence from the condo board and town officials in recent years that show residents were concerned about the effects of nearby construction.
On Monday morning, streets were blocked and a section of beach was barricaded both north and south of the collapsed tower. At one roadblock, someone posted a handwritten note thanking rescue workers, saying. “Please Don’t Give Up.”
Miami-Dade County Commission Chair Jose “Pepe” Diaz said he and other elected officials met Monday with families waiting for news of the missing. “The pain in their face, their expressions, it’s unlike anything I’ve seen before,” he said. “It’s very difficult to know that a loved one could still be alive….and just sit there and wait.”